"Joining the Peace Corps is a serious decision, and so it requires much patience and persistence."
How I did it: The biggest obstacle for an older volunteer such as myself is the medical review. I had to get my doctors to write letters and fill out forms. Fortunately they are all very supportive of my decision and went that extra mile for me. I had to struggle past an initial decision for deferral of service. In the end, persistence paid off.
Lessons & tips: The Peace Corps requires documentations of every illness, every accident, every surgery, every chronic condition, every routine diagnostic procedure you've had going back at least 5 years, and every medication you currently use. The faster you can provide these things, the more complete your documentation, the quicker the process will go. Also: get to know the RN who is reviewing your file, and keep in touch.
Resources: My Peace Corps recruiter was a great source of morale boosts whenever I felt discouraged.
It took me 8 months.
It made me So happy!
No comments:
Post a Comment